The First Million Words

When learning to write, you should be ready to throw away your first million words. Welcome to my writing trash can.

Friday, June 02, 2006

A new month, another try*

Inspired by this post on one of my regular reads, I am making yet another effort to make this writing thing a regular habit.

Just ten minutes a day. How hard could that be? Something that sounds so easy, when I actually start to do it, suddenly seems so difficult. Typically it's because I don't feel like anyone will care to read what I have to say. Even though I enjoy reading the random musings of others, I still think that no one will want to read it.

My entire life I've hated "busy work". You know, back in grade school when you would finish an assignment early, the teacher would give you, say, 10 extra math problems. Not really to learn anything - after all, you completed the assignment. Just to keep you busy while the other students finished. Or on that part time job in high school or college. The day isn't quite over yet, but there isn't time to start anything new. So you do the equivalent to the classic "Dig a hole here. Ok, now fill it in" type of work. Busy work. Yuck.

How does this relate? Well, it seems that if I write this stuff and no one reads it, or really if no one comments since I have no idea who is reading it, then it's just busy work. I don't think that is entirely true. I understand the value of writing every day. Doing anything every day you are bound to get better at it. But at some point someone else has to see/hear/taste/smell it, or you have no way to know how it stands up to other things out there in the world.

I have been fighting the urge to look at the clock as I've been writing this. I looked at the clock when I started, but since I was on a roll and actually writing, I've been trying not to look at the clock. But I just now broke down and peeked. It has been 10 minutes exactly. This wasn't nearly as difficult as it seemed when I started. Maybe June is time for me to give it another try.


*I "borrowed" this title from the blog post linked above - it said best what I was trying to say. I love reading Alwin Hawkins' blog. Well, most of it anyway. The medical/nursing stuff is out of my league typically, but the rest is great. Give it a try.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

well, don't feel bad if you don't blog that often. Some of us are addicted to blogging.

6/2/06, 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home