The First Million Words

When learning to write, you should be ready to throw away your first million words. Welcome to my writing trash can.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Should this offend me?

After my first post about Prosper, I got a comment from the person who thought I was a spammer with some "what-ifs" about Prosper. Well, after posting my update today, I had blogger send a note to him to tell him it was an update. I sent the following note along with the link:

I posted an update on my experience with Prosper.com and thought you might be interested. My apologies if you aren't. If you aren't, please let me know and I won't update you in the future.

I got the following response from him:

Best of luck with it. I have no interest in hearing any more about it, but thanks.

I guess it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I must say it is bothering me. Though it is polite, I guess I just got the feeling over the years of reading his blog that he was a friendlier guy than that. Or am I just too concerned with approval as I discussed in this post?

All comments welcome - thanks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems that you might be too concerned with the approval of others (or him in this case). Blogs who have been around as long as his get lots of spam and the spam has become quite complex. Sites like Prosper are the exact sort of thing that will be spammed on blog comments.

That being said, I've met Kevin and his wife personally. They are both some of the nicest and coolest people I've had the opportunity to meet. I think you've read waaay too much into the events surrounding all of this. His comment noting that he really didn't care to know anymore was nice and to the point. I've not know Kevin to be rude to anyone on any blog (we both read some of the same) and I don't think that was his intention here. So, just let it all go. =)

9/10/06, 9:17 AM  
Blogger learningtowrite said...

Corey,

Thanks for the input. Like I said in my post, I thought he was friendlier than that. That was one reason I was so surprised. Thinking on it, I don't think it was just that email exchange, but the whole thing in general. Not once during the entire "episode" or whatever you want to call it did he offer an apology for treating me like a spammer. I think a quick "Sorry I deleted the comment - I thought it was spam" would have taken care of any problem. Instead he posts challenging questions about Prosper (in the comments in the other post) as if possibly interested. Then when I email him about an update he says he isn't interested. Ok then.

But as of now, consider it let go. :-)

9/11/06, 10:50 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

hey, off the topic, have you seen this blog?

http://poetryexaminedlife.blogspot.com/

This guy is sending out his work and stuff and I find reading him occasionally inspires me to write more.

9/12/06, 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home