The First Million Words

When learning to write, you should be ready to throw away your first million words. Welcome to my writing trash can.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A lot of change going on - Part I

I've got a lot of change going on in my life. Or at least the potential for a lot of change coming up. What kind of change you ask? Well, sit right down there and I'll tell you.

First, I have a job interview this Friday. I'm both excited about it and dreading it at the same time.

I'm excited about it because it is a programming job at a company where 2 of my good friends work. I've worked with them both in the past - in fact, the 3 of us have even worked together - and I really enjoy working with them. Also it sounds like they are both having fun working there. And from what they could tell me about the project (they are under an NDA as the project is pre-release), it sounds like I'd enjoy it too. I'd get to learn some new stuff. Work in an area that is both familiar to me (web development), but also new to me (PHP programming). Plus its in a different industry than I'm working in now. Lots to look forward to there.

I am somewhat dreading it because I don't like the interview process. Never have, never will. That's at least one reason I've only had 3 jobs in the last 20 years. It takes a lot to make me unhappy enough to go through the interview process and look for something else. But I'm at that point at my current job. No matter how hard I try to focus and do the work, I simply struggle with it. I am completely bored by it. I haven't learned anything new in the last 3-4 years. I know our product inside and out, and even though new development is going on using newer technologies like Microsoft's dotNet, I haven't gotten moved on to that new development. I'm enhancing and maintaining the older existing code base. And I've learned the hard way that if I'm not challenged I'm bored.

The thing that has kept me there, and also has me dreading this potential job change, is the people I work with. I have some good friends there. I really enjoy being around most of the people I work with. And even though the work may bore me, at least I'm around people I enjoy. Will I even like the people I work with at the new place - besides those two friends of mine that already work there? I have no idea.

--- to be continued ---

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home