The First Million Words

When learning to write, you should be ready to throw away your first million words. Welcome to my writing trash can.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

GAS!

Gas prices are crazy! Not as crazy where I live as other places, but there isn't a great public transportation infrastructure where I live either, so it kind of balances out.

For example, I spent some time trying to work out how to get from my home to my office via the local public transportaton. It is 17 miles (+/- 1 mile or so depending on route) from my house to my office.

If I go purely on the bus part of the system, then it is a 2.5 hour trip one way. Yes, 2.5 hrs, including 2 transfers. It's because some of the suburbs around here tightly restrict what roads the buses can use and that greatly reduces the amount of routes available.

If I drive 2-3 miles to the closes light rail station, then it's about 45 mins by train then about an hour by bus. I have to take a train southwest so I can get on a train to go north. After going north for a bit, I get ona bus and go west (while going north and south on the way), but at least there are no bus transfers.

So, why not telecommute? Very good question. I have broadband at home, my office provides VPN access, and I have done it occasionally when meeting repairmen, or doing some overtime. I get way more done because I've reduced the drive-by office interruptions. But it won't ever be a M-F, 9-5 kind of thing. Won't be allowed. The owner of our company got his MBA in the 60's and has that old-school attitude of "If you're not at your desk, you're not at work". Ok. Whatevs.

Oh, and the real kicker here? My vehicle gets about 15-16 MPG city driving on my standard commute route. So it takes a gallon to get to work and a gallon to get home. ~8.00 a day to commute.

I need a new job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home