The First Million Words

When learning to write, you should be ready to throw away your first million words. Welcome to my writing trash can.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I'm Just Sayin' #1

This is the inaugural post of a new section of this blog - I'm Just Sayin'. You'll figure it out as we go along.

Today in IJS....

So Monday a coworker offered to pick something up for me at a store she was going by on the way home and bring it in Tuesday. She was going there anyway, and it would be out of the way for me, so she offered to pick up what I needed. I took her up on the offer. They informed me that it wasn't a certainty that she'd actually get to the store, so she'd call me on the way to work Tuesday morning and let me know for sure that she had gotten said item.

Well, Tuesday morning came. I had decided to pick up the new Journey album so I left home a little earlier than usual. I did my commute and my stop along the way, taking about an hour in total. All this time I got no call, and I arrived at the office after the time she told me she usually got there, so I never stopped by the ATM to get any cash to repay her. Oh, I was informed that was no problem at all and the next day was fine, yadda, yadda, yadda. Great.

The next day (today), I stop by the ATM and bring in money. I'm in my chair at my desk all of about 5 minutes, and not fully caffeinated, when she passes by and on her way says "Do you have my money yet?". Well, I semi-lost it. I mean really! First of all I said I would have it. Second, I'd been at work all of maybe 5 minutes. I'd barely gotten Outlook running, much less gotten through email or even spoken to anyone else at the office. On top of that, there is basically an unwritten rule around here that people shouldn't interact with me before 9:30-10:00 A.M. This person has been here long enough (almost as long as me) to know better. Also, please - she sits maybe 3 cubes away from me. As soon as I figure out which end is up I'll go see her and pay her back. Does she really have to go all mafioso on me and come asking for payment? I guess I should just shut up and be happy that she didn't ask for any interest. GEEZ!

Just proves the philosophy I live by - don't loan out anything you can't afford to lose. Make a loan (even an implied one as in this case) and be prepared to never see whatever it is again. If you get it back (or get repaid), then that's a bonus.

I'M JUST SAYIN'

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home