The First Million Words

When learning to write, you should be ready to throw away your first million words. Welcome to my writing trash can.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Discipline, or the lack thereof

I always considered myself a disciplined person. And lately that self-discipline has left me. I've literally spent the last 3 months telling myself every week (and sometimes mid-week) that this next week was when I was going to start getting up early in the mornings and doing my walk for exercise. A 40 minute brisk walk around my neighborhood. I have absolutely no reason to not do it other than pure laziness. I need to do it. I know I need to do it. But somehow, at 5:30 a.m., I can talk myself out of having to start today. Yeah, I can just start tomorrow, I say to myself. That'll still leave me X months (now down to X days) until I have to go on my mission trip and actually be physically active for 5 straight days, all day long.

I've also completely blown my personal discipline of reading the Bible every morning. For years I did it. And I know how a big impact it has on my life. It improves my attitude on a daily basis. It also helps me keep my priorities in line. It reminds me that the world is really watching me to see if I have that deep-seated happiness that Christians supposedly have.

I can't go back and redo the past days where I didn't start back on my old routine. But I can try again to restart it. Maybe by writing about it and knowing others know about it will help.

Nah, probably not. That snooze button is just too easy to hit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home